Saturday, May 10, 2014

Field trip: lagoon time

Here we go! Alicia (left), me, Mago (right), and Angelica (not pictured) all went to La Mancha. A lagoon type boat ride with an excellent lunch when we were done. 

This is us in the taxi. Angelica was in the front seat, so we couldn't get her in this picture. :(

We took a bus ride to the area where La Mancha was. While making a stop at a different bus terminal, people came onto the bus to sell different snacks and such. I tried this little (DELICIOUS) snack:


It's some flaky pie crust thingy. They had a bunch of different kinds, but mine had pineapple and cream cheese in it. SO GOOD. They also had pineapple and ham, ham and jalapeño, and ham and cheese. We all decided we should go into business making different ones with chocolate, strawberry, and/or peaches. Pineapple was the only sweet one they had. Did I mention I love talking about food? lol 

Once we got there, we went to order our lunch (so it could be made while we were on our tour). The palapa in the background is where we ate, right next to a little man-made pond with two HUUUUGE fish in it. 

Arturo (our guide) got the little boat set up for us to hop in. 

And off we went!

Again attempting the group selfie. ;) 
We had a great time, and Arturo thought it was funny to see our reaction when talking about the different kinds of snakes, crocodiles, and other scary creatures in the water. I think his favorite moment was when he yelled "LOOK!! There it is!!!" And I screamed like something was pulling me overboard! Hahaha He was quite the jokester. 

Since I couldn't master the art of the group selfie just yet, Arturo was nice enough to lend me a hand and take a group pic. 

And then he posed for his own picture. :)
Such a cheeseball. :)


There was this little island where hundreds of black and white birds lived in this tree. It was neat to hear all of em in there.


The sight once we got deeper into the lagoon was pretty cool too. This is where Arturo's crazy stories about anacondas and pythons came out. 
You can see the water level was very low... We actually got stuck for a second when we got too close to a shallow area. 


There were these meat viney trees everywhere. 
 

Even above us! 


Then we got back and sat down for lunch. :) they had two choices: fish or fish. lol
I'm not usually a fish eater, but when in Rome! I couldn't quite understand the one type of fish they had, so I went with the one I knew: fried. I had imagined something along the lines of a breaded fish filet, fried up and golden brown. 

Here's what was placed on the table:


The fish.... WITH. THE. HEAD. 
Here's a view of the whole plate. 


I actually ate some, and was quite proud of myself... Until I looked over and saw Mago and Angelica's plate- completely clean. The ate almost EVERY part- head included!! Maybe I'll be brave enough to try that part next time. Baby steps, ya know. ;) 


I really enjoyed the juice made from guava that they gave us. :) 


While waiting for the bus back home, Mago decided she wanted to be queen of the mountain. ;) 

I'd say my first field trip was a success! I learned a lot! 
I also learned a VERY important Spanish lesson. So important it deserves it's own post. Stay tuned! :) 












 

No comments:

Post a Comment