Thursday, May 22, 2014

Field trip: Cempoala pt 2 (mucho pics)

Since I took (literally) over 100 pics, I figured I should cut this field trip post into two. :) 

After seeing all of the pyramids, we went to Hernan Cortez's house. It was built in 1523 in Antigua. The house is right near the oldest church in the Americas, which was founded by Cortez. 

His house is now completely covered in vines/trees. It looks really really cool!


First, we had to cross this scary bridge. lol 


This is my "I'm glad I made it to the other side smile." This was NOT the face I had while crossing the bridge. :)


Beautiful river and plenty of picturesque scenery to look at while we ate lunch. 


Pre-lunch selfie!! lol


I have never seen trees this gargantuan!! 


I think I need to get into the tree modeling business! Hahaha


In front of the church Cortez founded. 


His house was made out of local stone and coral. Really cool to see the big hunks of coral in the walls. 


The walls of the house are now overtaken with trees. Makes for a pretty spectacular sight!! 

Peek-a-boo!!


No ceiling- just some huge trees!


I just found it incredible. One of those things where pictures just don't do it justice. 


Tree house selfie!


Again- tree (house) modeling. My new favorite pastime. :)


Dani is crazy, and climbed it!!


I wish I was able to get the whole house in one shot. It's so cool to look at. 


The church Coryez founded was beautiful. 


Really bright and pretty. 



I'm not sure if it's all of them, but out of the four Catholic Churches I've seen in Veracruz, all four have had a glass casket of sorts with a dead Jesus in it. I was told it was to be a reminder of his sacrifice. Its a very powerful sight. 


They also have a not dying Jesus. 


This was our ride (part of the way) home. What you can't see is that there are two more in the passenger seat, plus the driver. 7 people. I know what you're thinking. lol

It was such a fun day. I love feild trip days. We learn a lot, get a break from classroom studying, and get to practice Spanish with people not accustomed to Spanglish. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment