Thursday, May 19, 2011

12 days!

No, I have not started packing yet- don't judge me! lol


I find I work best under pressure... (That right there would be the famous excuse from many-a-procrastinator.) 


To be honest... it's still kind of surreal to me that I get to do this. :) It blows my mind when I get some huge prayers answered. Especially when the answer I get is, "Yes!" God answers me in huge ways much more often than I deserve, and yet I am always completely shocked when He blesses me big time.


I can't even begin to imagine how it's going to be there. I mean, I have an idea, from when I was there in September...but this feels SO much different! I'm so excited to see the people and kids from last time, and meet some new faces. I think it's good to not know what to expect. No expectations means you're not disappointed!


We got an e-mail describing a few jobs we will be asked to do, and to give them a "top three" of the jobs I would most enjoy. Here's what I picked (in the order I picked them:


1. Photographer- How cool would that be?! I'm trying not to get my hopes up; I bet a lot of people requested that job!
2. Crafts- Organizing the crafts and stocking the craft boxes brought to the children's homes. Also very cool, I love crafts!
3. Food duty- I'd really like this, because you interact a lot with the groups, packing lunches and preparing meals. (At least ours did!) 


I'm trying to be open to where God has me, and not be disappointed if for some reason I don't get any of those jobs. I mean, hey! I'll be in MEXICO!! :)


I've been thinkin' a lot about my two girlies down there, Wendy and Lidia:
This is Wendy on the first day I met her. :) Cuteness! I was feeling totally lost, and very unhelpful, when she ran up to me and grabbed my leg. Just like that, all my worries of "Will I be good enough?" and feelings of uselessness just went out the window!! God continued to use this little one the entire time I was there in little ways that spoke to me in BIG ways!
This is her sister, Lidia. :) She's the other little girl I sponsor. She plays tough, doesn't take any grief from anyone, and is such a little protector of Wendy. While I was there, she was the ONLY one who could make Wendy smile. (That is, of course, until we brought the girls to the pool!) She's a tough cookie, and when you make her smile, it makes your whole day!


I'm really eager to see them! I've seen a few pictures since I first met them, and it's amazing how quick they grow up! Also, they had JUST arrived at the children's home a few days prior to us arriving. Wendy didn't speak at all, cried all the time, and Lidia was SO guarded! I hope this time around they're more adjusted, and that they know how much we all love them! :)


It's becoming more real, even as I'm typing this, that I will be in Mexico in 12 days... I think God helps me forget that I'm doing this to help me not completely freak out before I go!


I'd like to say, "Well, I've gotta go start packing!" but that'd be a big fat lie. :) Hopefully I'll get the majority of my packing done Sunday. That's my plan, anyway. :) I've messaged three different people repeatedly with a thousand different questions, and God love 'em they patiently answer each one! What to pack, how much money to bring, yadda yadda yadda! I kinda wish I had someone to bounce ideas off of that's also going, someone to freak out with! :) So instead, I'll just bug to doo-doo out of the other interns and the people who are already there!


I haven't gotten into full-blown freak out mode yet, so that's good. :) I'll let ya know when that happens!

2 comments:

  1. This made me all teary eyed. I love you, Kelli, and this is SO for you to do! We all knew this from the moment we watched you interact with the kids down there and found out about this internship. You are meant for this, and will be completely blessed. As will all of us who get to live vicariously through you while you are there, thanks to this blog and your pics.

    And maybe you should write a small manual or something for future interns! Something that answers all of these questions you are bugging the doo-doo out of everyone else for. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are wonderful! :) Thank you for always being so encouraging! I love you!! And yes, I totally want to write the manual for interns now! :)

    ReplyDelete